Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life at Cambridge

Life at Cambirdge epitomizes the "work hard, play hard" mentality. Apparently, overachieving American students who participate in PKP have trouble coming to grips with this idea. Dr. Steinberg told us that we need to relax (yes, even American students can do it if they really try) because there is no hurry. I know a few people who should probably listen to this advice. Even though this is a summer programme, there is a great deal of reading to be done...or so the syllabus says. According to my Europe from 1890-1990 syllabus, tonight I need to read about 160 pages. In reality, we only need to "read what is necessary for you to understand the lectures." My Gothic Architecture professor has merely given us a long list of books to read at our leisure in order to supplement the lecture material. After being ingrained into the American system in which you are told exactly what to read and by when, the Cambridge system is a bit difficult to get used to. I enjoy the structure provided by the American system because I will be told what to do and I will do it for whatever day it needs to be done. The Cambridge system, however, provides you with much more freedom as a student. I do not need to read every single book on the list for Gothic Architecture, but instead I can choose a few that interest me most and use them in ways that will help to support the ideas I propose in my final essay. And if I'm reading for my European history class and I come across something I already know a great deal about, I can skip it without having to worry that I might be quized on some minute detail stated in that section. You are constantly treated as though you are an expert in whatever field you are studying and, therefore, you are always given the respect that comes with that level of knowledge.

Cambridge provides students with freedom in other ways as well. Unlike at PC, there are no useless mandatory floor meetings to attend, no parietals and no other innane rules that make you feel like a child. Basically, you are free the live however you please and the only thing you actually need permission for is a party, but permission is essentially granted automatically. The Cambridge system is unique and I'm sure I'll find out more about that tomorrow night when I attend the plenary lecture that Dr. steinberg is giving which is entitled "Why Cambridge is Unique".

On another note, I have met the woman that is responsible for cleaning my room. She is an adorable British woman who calls everyone "darling" and she is so nice. We had a lovely chat about Scotland and what I should see when I'm there this weekend. Tonight is our Scotland orientation and I'm thinking about signing up for the one day hiking trip in the Trossachs, but I'm not sure yet. I'm also going to see Braveheart for the first time at movie night tonight...it looks quite good and it's a must see before Scotland.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Omg you have a woman that comes to clean your room?! At the end of the summer you should bribe her to see if she'll come clean the suite for us lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remeber when you were in Mrs Lupino's class and you did a report on Thomas Jefferson-it was like pulling teeth getting you to read the information in the book and trying to put it on paper in an organized way-I remember the librarian saying that this many books may be "too much" for someone of your age,but I disagreed. So whatever I pushed you to do,all I can say is that I,m glad I did. You do write very well-maybe we should thank Mrs. Lupino for it(or maybe your mother). By the way,what kind of drinks were they serving?????

    ReplyDelete