Saturday, August 14, 2010

Stonehenge Rocks

Although I will not be home until August 29th, this weekend is the last full weekend of PKP. Since it's our last weekend together (until we have one of our many planned reunions), Marisa, Katie, Barrett, Lauren and I decided to go to Stonehenge. We took a 6:45 am train to London, headed to Notting Hill and grabbed breakfast at an adorable little cafe. After we finished eating, we walked over to Portobello Road to do some shopping. Fighting our way through the masses, we all managed to find some great stuff. Marisa, Lauren and I bought Venetian masks to wear to our last Formal Hall on Thursday which is a Masquerade (with a Disco afterwards). I also bought some gifts for people at home. After spending a few hours in Portobello Road we headed over to the pickup point for our trip to Stonehenge. We were getting picked up at the Thistle Kensington Gardens Hotel which happens to be located directly above a Shell gas station. We decided to go into the store to buy some snacks for the 2 hour trip to Stonehenge. Well, as I was looking for some chips, I saw the bag that I have been waiting to see for years- a bag of Frazzles. My two major non academic, non travel related goals for my time in England were to 1) Meet Stephen Hawking and 2) EAT FRAZZLES. I was unsuccessful in both of these goals until today (unfortunately, meeting Stephen Hawking seems unlikely to happen, but another PKP student claims to have seen him outside King's which made me very unhappy). You may be wondering what exactly Frazzles are. Frazzles are bacon flavored crisps and I have been dying to try them since I heard of their existence several years ago. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they are only sold in the UK (unless you want to buy them online and have them shipped to the US but that seemed a bit sketchy and unnecessary). I have been looking for them since I got to England, but I have amped up my efforts in recent weeks so much so that I had an English businessman suggesting that I go on Google and look up where to buy them. Well, I finally found them and they were absolutely delicious. They definitely surpassed all expectations and my obsession with bacon is probably going to be even worse now. It was a really exciting moment. Anyway, after a two hour coach ride, we arrived at Stonehenge. It was awesome. One might even say Stonehenge rocks...pun intended. They include an audio guide and it was really interesting to listen to some of the myths about Stonehenge. We also had a great time taking jumping pictures in front of the rocks. When we got back to London, we went to The Black Lion pub for dinner and I had the Big Ben Burger which had an egg on it. It was so good. Then we headed back to King's Cross only to find out that there was a train failure so no other trains could get back to Cambridge from King's Cross. We had to go to Liverpool Street and take a very, very indirect train back to Cambridge. Apparently, some other PKP kids were stuck on a train for 5 hours because they were in the train right behind the one that ran out of fuel. Tomorrow is supposed to be a day of productivity, but I'm not sure if that will happen. I have alot of work to do before Thursday though so I should probably get something done. There is a Garden Party tomorrow night which I'm really looking forward to. Hopefully it wont rain.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. "One might even say Stonehenge rocks...pun intended"
    i can't believe you just said that.
    -haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was absolutely necessary. And I thought you didn't read my blog? I see that was a lie. You must miss me alot

    ReplyDelete
  3. i normally don't. i never have before, but i was really REALLLLLLLY bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I love the Stonehenge Rocks pun! I first noticed it as the title of your album of pics on facebook and I almost commented there but didn't so I'm glad that you incorperated it into a post so I could make my feelings on it known (even if haley was just remarking on the toolishness of it - I love it :-) )

    I'm also extremely glad that your Frazzels experience was a very positive one! I'd say you should save a bag and bring it home for people around here to try, but I somehow have a hunch taht whatever Frazzels you've purchased have already been eaten haha

    And Bedknobs and Broomsticks anyone?! Portebello Road!! Just like the song! So exciting!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha you would love the pun. Frazzles were amazing. I bought two small bags and ate them on the way to stonehenge. I plan on going back to the store where I got them before I go home and stocking up. They are only 50 pence a bag! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete