Friday, July 9, 2010

Flip Flopping

Well I still can't decide if the days are dragging or flying by. Everyday seems far longer than 24 hours, but I still don't seem to have any free time at all. The past few days have been good, but the weather has been crazy...gray and cold in the morning then sunny and warm an hour later and I still haven't seen more than 5 minutes of rain (and it only sprinkled) since I have been here (excluding Scotland of course).

On Tuesday I heard US Supreme Court Justice Breyer speak at the CUS. Justice Breyer was appointed by Clinton and had to spend 11 years as the junior justice (he missed the record for most time as junior justice by 1 month). He was interesting to listen to and was actually very funny. He spoke about what he does on a daily basis and about how they get to decide which cases they want to hear and which cases they don't.
In the past few days I have managed to change my plans for this weekend about 75 times. Originally, I was planning on going to Bath and Oxford for the weekend. When the Netherlands won their World Cup semifinal, however, I decided I wanted to go to Amsterdam for the weekend and watch the match from there on Sunday night. Well, I had everything planned out (it was possibly the most convoluted travel schedule ever), but in the few minutes it took me to do that, plane fares went up by almost £200 so that didn't work out so well. Then I decided I would just go to Bath and Oxford instead like I had planned from the start. Well, last night a bunch of us got together to plan out our weekend trips for the remainder of the programme and decided we would do Bath/Oxford sometime in August. So, I changed my plans again and decided to go to Dover to see the White Cliffs, but I changed my mind again soon after that and I have finally settled on staying in Cambridge to see the many things that I want to see here and to maybe do some work since I have 2 midterms next week and a paper due the following Monday. Anyways, our weekend plans are looking pretty great...London (July 17th...there is a day tip to London included in the programme), Paris (July 23rd), Dublin (July 30th), Barcelona or Istanbul (August 6th which is a long weekend for us...I'm hoping for Istanbul since I have already been to Barcelona) and Bath/Oxford (August 14th).
Today I'm going on a field trip to Ely Cathedral with my Gothic Architecture class. I think I have already been on more "field trips" (by which I mean short visits to buildings around Cambridge during seminars) than I have been on in my entire life before Cambridge (excluding PEGASUS because we went on quite a few field trips). Our professor was telling us how he had to plan it for this week because next Friday Ely holds its annual Rave in the Nave. I definitely thought he was kidding, but I looked it up and it actually is a real event although I'm not entirely sure what the event entails. Anyway, I'm really looking foward to the World Cup on Sunday and, even though I have Spain winning in my bracket, I really want The Netherlands to win.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment